[Freedombox-discuss] Email on the FreedomBox Discussion

Keith Fernie me at keithfernie.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 14:30:44 UTC 2011

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 14:36:14 +0100, Abhishek Dasgupta <abhidg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I wonder if the problem will be solved by increasing IPv6 adoption and
> free static IPs. However some webmail providers (like gmail) do not
> support sending to servers with only IPv6 MX records.

Email over ipv6 works for me with postfix & dovecot running on my desktop
(OS is Squeeze).
I've a dynamic ipv4 address & I've set up an ipv6 tunnel through Hurricane
Electric, running on a Dreamplug.
This gives the Dreamplug static ipv6 addresses. Radvd running on the
dreamplug gives my other pc's a static ipv6 address.
Lowest priority MX sends the email to my desktop with only an ipv6 address.
Using dual stack ipv4/ipv6 MX backup servers for when the desktop's
switched off and email is sent to me ipv4 only
IMAP is to 127.0.0.1 on my desktop, not using tls or ssl.

Outgoing email goes through one of the backup MX servers, configured to
accept the static ipv6 address.

Drawbacks to using this for the freedombox are:

1. The source of the static ipv6 addresses is centralised, other options
tried give dynamic ipv6 addresses.
2. A router which forwards protocol 41 is required, not every router does
this, especially the ones supplied by my isp.
Also configuring the router should not be expected a freedombox user.
3. I am running my backup MX servers, again not to be expected of a
freedombox user.

Anyone any ideas for making this approach more suitable for the freedombox?