[Freedombox-discuss] Email on the FreedomBox Discussion

Matthew Platte mp at oldabilenetown.org
Sat Aug 27 04:05:43 UTC 2011

On 08/26/2011 10:15 PM, John Walsh wrote:

> Now, if anybody else has email specific issues or even better FBX email
> recipes, please contribute. I will even write up the recipes on the FBX wiki
> for you if you post your recipe to this thread ;)

tl;dr summary:  I am not a linux geek but I want these services to Just
Work.  I have proven in the past that even I can muddle through and get
a mail server to run reasonably well for years -- but I don't want to
have to think about all those gory details any more.

--

I think I'm in the early adopter FBX demographic but not the FBX
developer group: I want these services running on my own hardware in my

I've been running my own servers at home since 2001-02 and have been
hosting email for myself all along.  It hasn't been so bad these past
few years but early on it was a struggle.

Last time I upgraded hardware circa 2007 I followed a recipe similar to
or exactly like this (note the date):

   http://www.adomas.org/2006/08/postfix-dovecot/

... for postfix and dovecot.  I used squirrelmail then switched to
roundcube.  For everyday use, though, I use Thunderbird.

I must say that converting from mbox to maildir is a real pain for the
casual administrator.  Getting the first virtual mailbox up is also a
bit odd what with everything needing to be done as root and not easily
being able to see whats' going on inside the virtual directories.  SPAM
isn't the problem that it used to be and I suspect that most of it is
not getting all the way to my server.  I have a static IP address from
my ISP and they are the backup MX.

I prefer opinionated.  I don't want to decide between some University
IMAP and Dovecot.  During setup I'll happily type in names, IP addresses
and server details but the fewer decisions I have to make, the better.

Thank you all for doing what you're doing.