[Freedombox-discuss] Introducing Myself

Hector Oron hector.oron at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 00:43:30 UTC 2011

Hi,

2011/2/17 Matt Joyce <matt at nycresistor.com>:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Hector Oron <hector.oron at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2011/2/16 Matt Joyce <matt at nycresistor.com>:

>> > I've been building the Fonera 2.0n images for the ChaosVPN project.
>> >
>> > http://wiki.hamburg.ccc.de/index.php/ChaosVPN

>> May I ask why those packages are not in Debian main archive? :)

> Not sure.  We did hit stuff into the openwrt archives.  Could just be
> laziness on the package creators part.  Small dev team entirely
> uncompensated =P.

Try to upload them to mentors.debian.net and look for an sponsor. :-)

> debootstrap is not working very well with my images.  The fonera has limited
> space and I can't seem to fit it with the essentials.  Working on stripping
> out some of the web 2.0 integration on the luci app / lua side.  That might
> make it possible to bake in.  But I'll discuss the whys and why nots of that
> from my perspective in the doc I am going to work up shortly.

I use 'multistrap' which allows me pull from several repositories, but
maybe those are not suitable tools for you because size constraints.
Do you use uClibc instead? (It looks like you are based on OpenWrt but
using deb packages?)

>> There has been lots of chatting and very good ideas have been proposed
>> like using tor (the onion protocol), certainly using VPN might be yat
>> another possibility, most of the relevant bits have been collected at
>> <http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox>

> The wiki looks to be more of a brainstorming session at the moment than
> anything else.  And the presentation is very raw.  So I am withholding
> judgement on the ideas presented.  I'd love to see some more in depth
> discussion occurring regarding this stuff.  Going to try and throw some
> monkeys with wrenches into the gear works and maybe cause some excitement
> =D

True, wiki is more like a brainstorming session. From my point of
view, Debian development is quite descentralized and fragmented;
everyone works on what fullfil their needs, but there has to be a good
quality core to support all the development. If you are going to place
manpower to work on it, I would suggest you write a roadmap and share
with the list, some of your goals might be well aligned with the FB
project goals and you might get quick useful feedback too. From my
perspective we are lacking a good set of requirements and a good
design needs requirements, then we can start talking on
implementation.

Which are your requirements?

Best regards,
--