[Freedombox-discuss] Sunday US-morning/euro-afternoon hacker session in #freedombox on irc.oftc.net

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Feb 17 11:54:43 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:10:41PM +0100, bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:52:03AM +0100, Michiel de Jong wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > The keyword here is "transition": Yes, I could look at whatever
>> > mashup you'd thrown together and be inspired by that in a
>> > recreation from scratch myself using different tools for a Debian
>> > Pure Blend.  But I don't want to recreate from scratch.
>> >

>> Fair enough! So when the live experimentation leads to something
>> worth sharing, i'll learn how to put it into live-builder. It's this
>> one, right? http://live.debian.net/devel/live-build/
>>
>> It also sounds like useful in itself, because you could put it on a
>> USB stick for your plugserver (or other old piece of hardware you
>> have lying around) to boot from, and people could experiment with it
>> at home, and propose changes and additions based on something that we
>> can version and use as a focal point for discussion.
>
>I have concerns it might not work that well on a plugserver, as a live
>environement require too much memory. But still people could test it on
>better hardware.
>
>> So using live-builder, the result will be easy to reuse for the Pure
>> Blend?

Ohh, right.  I fully agree (and missed that tiny but important detail):

If you want to use a Live-CD for demo'ing how cool this is, then demo it
on fast shiny big iron, not embedded or old iron.

Not only does it require more memory, it also does massive uncompression
on-the-fly which drains computer cycles.

...and for plug hardware there is the additional challenge of targetting
a different hardware platform than the (assumed) x86 build environment.

So take smaller steps: Try play with live-build as step 1, but don't
expect to have anything running on plug hardware until a much later step
:-)

Enjoy!