[Freedombox-discuss] An Idea towards project definition.

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Fri Feb 18 18:51:57 UTC 2011

I am working up some proposals for what I see as goals and requirements, as
well as some technical design documents that I would propose.  I know many
others have similar thoughts.

I was thinking of the best way to accomplish this project.

Here's a quick list of things I would suggest doing...

Pick a simple yet identifiable mission statement.  ( seems this could almost
already be called done )

Then maybe do an open call for proposals on specific goals and
requirements.  Maybe even do a stage 1 and stage 2 call.  Then settle on
something.  Quick show of hands would probably do the trick.

Then we do a request for engineering proposals.  Here I suggest we do a
stage 1 and stage 2 anything goes submission maybe a month apart.  Then a
final review process and then decide on a structure.
By this point people may even have some demo systems to go along with their
proposals and we can start to see what the final result may end up looking
like it should be.

Divide and conquer has always been a solid approach.  Right now it seems
like there are a lot of people with a lot of great ideas just running around
in many different directions.  Some folks like myself are already developing
projects in line with this initiative.  I feel like we really need to set
down some requirements in stone as soon as possible so that people ( namely
myself ) can narrow their field of focus.

Thoughts?

-Matt