[Freedombox-discuss] An Idea towards project definition.

Hector Oron hector.oron at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 13:55:40 UTC 2011

Hello Matt,

2011/2/18 Matt Joyce <matt at nycresistor.com>:
> I am working up some proposals for what I see as goals and requirements, as
> well as some technical design documents that I would propose.  I know many
> others have similar thoughts.

That is great! I am anxious to see part of it :-)

> I was thinking of the best way to accomplish this project.
>
> Here's a quick list of things I would suggest doing...
>
> Pick a simple yet identifiable mission statement.  ( seems this could almost
> already be called done )

That seems do-able, mission: "Leaving the cloud"

> Then maybe do an open call for proposals on specific goals and
> requirements.  Maybe even do a stage 1 and stage 2 call.  Then settle on
> something.  Quick show of hands would probably do the trick.

Also, instead call for proposals, we could go through what already has
been proposed in this mailing list and put them together in a wiki
site.

> Then we do a request for engineering proposals.  Here I suggest we do a
> stage 1 and stage 2 anything goes submission maybe a month apart.  Then a
> final review process and then decide on a structure.

Again, mailing list and wiki pages have lots of information about it.
Putting together a proposal and have people to comment on it might be
helpful too.

> Divide and conquer has always been a solid approach.  Right now it seems
> like there are a lot of people with a lot of great ideas just running around
> in many different directions.  Some folks like myself are already developing
> projects in line with this initiative.  I feel like we really need to set
> down some requirements in stone as soon as possible so that people ( namely
> myself ) can narrow their field of focus.
>
> Thoughts?

I think we are starting to understand the way to go.
I am with your thoughts, some management is needed.
Let's use wiki pages as main place to put this project information,
but try not to fragment the wiki site, but help extending what's
already there.

Best regards,
--
 Héctor Orón