[Freedombox-discuss] "What's a Distributed Social Network?" -- the comic

J David Eisenberg jdavid.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 22:36:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Jake Emerson
<jakeemerson at spatial.maine.edu> wrote:
> Hi David,
> The comic at http://dsn-test.com/comic is great. Just curious, though, why
> did you choose the term "distributed" instead of "decentralized?"

Because I started writing the script shortly after Diaspora issued its
first release, and their blog says: "Diaspora aims to be a distributed
network..." That was the term that I saw more often in news articles,
and it seemed to be in more common usage.

BTW, I just did a Google search for "distributed social networks"
(about 41,800,000 results) vs. "decentralized social networks" (about
445,000 results).

Yes, "decentralized" does get the point across much better, doesn't it?

> Cheers,
> Jake

[snip]