[Freedombox-discuss] "What's a Distributed Social Network?" -- the comic

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Feb 24 23:05:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 02:36:35PM -0800, J David Eisenberg wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Jake Emerson
><jakeemerson at spatial.maine.edu> wrote:
>> Hi David,
>> The comic at http://dsn-test.com/comic is great. Just curious,
>> though, why did you choose the term "distributed" instead of
>> "decentralized?"
>
>Because I started writing the script shortly after Diaspora issued its
>first release, and their blog says: "Diaspora aims to be a distributed
>network..." That was the term that I saw more often in news articles,
>and it seemed to be in more common usage.
>
>BTW, I just did a Google search for "distributed social networks"
>(about 41,800,000 results) vs. "decentralized social networks" (about
>445,000 results).
>
>Yes, "decentralized" does get the point across much better, doesn't it?

Hmm - searching for _phrases_, i.e. with quotes around, lead to
different results:

   distributed social networks -> 44,800,000 hits
   "distributed social networks" -> 171,000 hits
   decentralized social networks -> 179,000 hits
   "decentralized social networks" -> 80,300 hits

compare that to federated... as used by e.g. buddycloud.com:

   decentralized social networks -> 816,000 hits
   "decentralized social networks" -> 56,700 hits