[Freedombox-discuss] .....a box not bigger then a mobile charger

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Feb 26 19:59:17 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 08:09:30PM +0100, Marc Manthey wrote:

>Am 26.02.2011 um 19:20 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
>
>>On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 04:50:42PM +0100, Marc Manthey wrote:
>>>i stumbled a couple of days before over a video from eben moglen
>>>and i was very amazed about his passionated speech and knowledge.
>>>
>>>My main question about the vision of a "freedombox "  , what is
>>>the hardware he mentioned in his speech - a box not bigger then a
>>>mobile charger ?
>>
>>Please do have a look at our wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox
>>
>>More specifically here:
>>http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware
>
>thanks Jonas , this were the missing links ! :)
>

>ARMv4, ARMv5, ARMv5, ARMv6 devices (armel)  seems pretty much what i
>wanted, 2 GHZ should be resonable nowadays
>is there any precofigured device  with cover plugs and jacks   whitch
>could be used as a "prototype" ?

Your comment/question confuses me.

There are no "preconfigured" devices as then our project would have
succeeded - or do I somehow misunderstand you?

There might be some devices in the "plug" category which is 2GHz but
they most likely is not in the sweet spot of money vs. availability etc.

What I recommend to explore for now is the low-end SheevaPlug.  If you
decide to go for a newer more powerful model then you may assume too
luxurious limitations than will be available in final products.