[Freedombox-discuss] my summary of yesterday's Hackfest

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 20:54:43 UTC 2011

On 28 February 2011 15:55, Michiel de Jong <michiel at unhosted.org> wrote:
> This summary is probably biased towards my own point of view. Please correct
> and append.
> General
> ======
> Multiple were experimenting installing debian on plugservers. I tried to get
> the VirtualBox image working, but had some trouble with the networking.
>
> We talked about how to extract package dependency structures from running
> systems
> (http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2010-October/000164.html
> and Jonas's new boxer tool)
> 1: Social
> =======
> Several people mentioned how message sending can be done with social tools
> other than email, for instance xmpp or something like twitter's DMs. more
> about this under point 6 (email). Just remember we're right now trying to
> shortlist existing debian packages.

IM should not be the mainstay of the system, but rather, a supporting
aspect.  Several good XMPP solutions out there.

But you also need a plain old web server, maybe with some dyndns,
preferably hosting html5.  Every user should have a home page,
displaying their profile, imho.

> I studied the facebook api a bit more to see if we can scrape it. For now,
> my conclusion is that, since you need to register each app to get an api
> key, I think this is not so appropriate to do separately on each freedombox.
> I am planning to create an unhosted web app as a generic social client
> though - if we get something working on this front i'll let you know.

Some stuff is public, some private.  The FB graph gives some public
data but the user *usually* needs an OAuth2 token to get more.

Make sure it abides by FB T&C ... no point getting in their bad books
if it's not necessary.  FWIW I genuinely think FB have made an
excellent effort to make an open platform, to Eben has a great point
about owning the logs.  Would be good to work with them than against.