[Freedombox-discuss] Establishing Communicationbetween Freedomboxes

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Jul 7 22:36:16 UTC 2011

On 07/07/2011 05:34 PM, Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson wrote:
> Those seizures all took place on .com/.net/... domains, right?  I don't
> think the Americans have had the audacity to go after domains under TLDs
> nominally belonging to foreign countries yet.

So which country's government *is* an acceptable middlman for dissenters
to rely on to not take away their public identity?  Or their allies'
identities?

> That's all really.  I know lots of people think DNS is fundamentally broken,
> but I'm not one of them.  And it's not like DNS is standing still either, it
> is still evolving, albeit slower than we might like.

DNS in its current implementation *is* fundamentally broken.  It also
works remarkably well, most of the time :)

> So to put things another way: being *able* to use DNS would be an awesome
> *feature* of whatever people do end up using for discovery.  All that is
> necessary for that to be satisfied is for the key to have the structure of a
> domain name, and the data to fit in an A or TXT record (or two or three).

Yes, completely agreed.  i'm not trying to throw everything away; i'm
trying to encourage this project to avoid building something that will
have a vulnerable central target for control.  DNS currently fits that
description; i have no objections to using it as one means of transport,
but i'd be pretty sad if you had to rely on today's hierarchical,
state-controlled DNS for your freedombox to function properly.

	--dkg