[Freedombox-discuss] Establishing Communicationbetween Freedomboxes

Marc Manthey marc at let.de
Thu Jul 7 23:03:57 UTC 2011

On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:36 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> On 07/07/2011 05:34 PM, Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson wrote:
>> Those seizures all took place on .com/.net/... domains, right?  I
>> don't
>> think the Americans have had the audacity to go after domains under
>> TLDs
>> nominally belonging to foreign countries yet.
>
> So which country's government *is* an acceptable middlman for
> dissenters
> to rely on to not take away their public identity?  Or their allies'
> identities?
>
>> That's all really.  I know lots of people think DNS is
>> fundamentally broken,
>> but I'm not one of them.  And it's not like DNS is standing still
>> either, it
>> is still evolving, albeit slower than we might like.
>
> DNS in its current implementation *is* fundamentally broken.  It also
> works remarkably well, most of the time :)
>
>> So to put things another way: being *able* to use DNS would be an
>> awesome
>> *feature* of whatever people do end up using for discovery.  All
>> that is
>> necessary for that to be satisfied is for the key to have the
>> structure of a
>> domain name, and the data to fit in an A or TXT record (or two or
>> three).
>
> Yes, completely agreed.  i'm not trying to throw everything away; i'm
> trying to encourage this project to avoid building something that will
> have a vulnerable central target for control.  DNS currently fits that
> description; i have no objections to using it as one means of
> transport,
> but i'd be pretty sad if you had to rely on today's hierarchical,
> state-controlled DNS for your freedombox to function properly.

.........we might need to switch to layer 2 ?

network-layer agnostic - you can run whatever you wish on top of
batman-adv: IPv4, IPv6, DHCP, IPX ..
nodes can participate in a mesh without having an IP
easy integration of non-mesh (mobile) clients (no manual HNA fiddling
required)
roaming of non-mesh clients
optimizing the data flow through the mesh (e.g. interface alternating,
multicast, forward error correction, etc)

http://www.open-mesh.org/wiki/batman-adv/Wiki

What about  delay tollerant networking ? or  "email without
internet ? :)

http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/ibr-dtn/

greetings

Marc

--  Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231