[Freedombox-discuss] freedombox development inclusivity [was: Re: Freedom Box as the server for other projects' protocols]

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sun Jul 10 22:34:44 UTC 2011

On 07/10/2011 06:19 PM, nathan nolast wrote:
> it would be
> to complicated for the average (grandma rule) user to configure.

I think i already mentioned this on this list a few days ago.  Please
stop using "grandma" as a shorthand for "unsophisticated and
non-technical user".  Gender prejudice and age prejudice do not help
build the community the freedombox project needs.

If you think it's tiresome to be reminded of this, you might consider
how tiresome it is for me to write it (and for others on the list to
read it again).  But more importantly, you should consider how tiresome
it is for women (and girls) of all ages and older people of all genders
to receive frequent hints via subtext that they are not "really" part of
the community who will build this thing.

We have an ambitious goal set out here.  We need all the help we can get
to do it right.  It does not help the project to use language or make
assumptions that can alienate large fractions of humanity.  It's also rude.

Thanks,

	--dkg