[Freedombox-discuss] freedombox development inclusivity [was: Re: Freedom Box as the server for other projects' protocols]

ya knygar knygar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 01:04:14 UTC 2011

> We have an ambitious goal set out here.  We need all the help we can get
> to do it right.  It does not help the project to use language or make
> assumptions that can alienate large fractions of humanity.  It's also rude.

+1 ,
i'm as a non-native English "user" recently couldn't  find the proper words
for "non-tech-savvy users", "dummy's" (like in that books)
(i still can't, in Russian - dummy is "teakettle" literally,
in Ukrainian - untranslatable)
that's another example of how multi-language "problems" exist
and could be "solved" with humor.

i think - it's more like social and linguistic problems
more like the simplified "thought-model" to use first analogy to describe
some phenomenon rather than use a proper specification..
in the end - all have understood what one was saying,
however,
it's not good for social evolution, for sure,
not good for younger population ..

> arnt the current protocols and the networks inheritly insecure (privacy sense) which is the reason why we need a new network based off of new protocols.

Don't know for sure about Security in existing protocols, i know that
identification, by that - Privacy is where we(Internet users) have
proposed variants,
but seems like need a further development.

> the freedombox has to be unique, it has to be compelling to new users. Why would someone buy a plug server and start using a freedombox, only to >use solutions that are obtainable through other cheaper methods.

good point,

about users who may have trouble's with FBox systems and
won't know why are they need it:

Better - to focus on interfaces that unsophisticated and
non-technical user's could use without a significant time and intention loss;
what we can overcome with "let's make it later" in mind,
for many users would be a stop point of using freedom systems,
wasn't it - the key problem of Linux/BSD adoption not so long ago..

now there are distributives for kids, for pupils, for students, etc.
repositories,
that is where Linux is actually winning over other now,
from what i'm hearing from users that coming from Win or Mac

As a Variant (another,
earlier i'v proposed - distributives
and packages for existing GNU/Linux's.
This variant is more into - distributives)

:
i think - proposing a different types of interfaces for "target
groups" - that what
should help the adoption of even over-complicated system "core",
generally - with given terabyte HD's on mass market - FreedomBox
could include all the Freedom supporting soft - the  possibly needed
for every human,
(animal or plant :)
and, given, the flexibility of Linux platforms - introduce an ability
to decide what "mode" the current FBox will be operated in.

bandwidth would talk against it in particular cases, however - avarage Internet
bandwidth is evolving rapidly and, my position - internet should be unlimited
(http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/06/internet-a-human-right/)
by capacity also. (Even and especially - mobile..)