[Freedombox-discuss] Building from the bottom up, using automated tests

Lars Wirzenius liw at liw.fi
Wed Jul 20 17:33:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 09:13:48PM +0530, Abhishek Dasgupta wrote:
> On 20 July 2011 13:23, Lars Wirzenius <liw at liw.fi> wrote:
> [...]
> > If we do want to do the test driven stuff, in the first iteration,
> > we should generate an image that provides no services, but passes the
> > tests for the base install. In further iterations, we can start adding
> > services (such as Samba for NAS functionality, or Apache+ikiwiki for a
> > wiki/blog instance, etc). However, before iterating further, I would
> > like to write the missing tools so that we can, with a single command,
> > perhaps run from cron or incron, generate and test an image.
>
> Automatically testing images would require some sort of VM solution to
> be agreed upon, wouldn't it?

Not necessarily. It's perfectly possible to support several
virtualization solutions (e.g., kvm, qemu, virtualbox-ose, xen),
but obviously it's easier if there's a need to only support one.
Since qemu seems to be the only one that can emulate ARM, that's
the only particularly relevant one. Qemu for arm and kvm for
i386 would be trivial to support.

--
Freedom-based blog/wiki/web hosting: http://www.branchable.com/