[Freedombox-discuss] http://politics.slashdot.org/story/11/07/18/0153204/Security-Consultants-Wa rn-About-PROTECT-IP-Act

J David Eisenberg jdavid.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:28:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, i just had a wonderful funny comment from someone, off-list, who
> thought it was incredibly funny that i had to point out that the
> software actually needs to be written before it can be packaged.
>
> he also pointed out that this point would probably have to be repeated
> multiple times before it actually sank in.
>
> i just wrote back to him and asked him if he could possibly write the
> following (and given that i wrote it to him i might as well cut/paste
> it here):
>
>  perhaps you might like to "chip in", with something like "so let me
> get this straight: you're saying that there are actually two tasks -
> one is to write the software, and the other is to package it, and
> you're also saying that the debian developers are the best people to
> do the packaging?"
>
>  then i can reply "why yes, i am indeed: how observant of you to
> notice!  i am indeed saying that there are ... "
>
>  :)
>

> ok, so is that clear enough??  this is a complex project WHERE THE
> REQUIRED SOFTWARE DOESN'T EXIST.
>
>  do i have to say it again?
>
>  i think i will, anyway, just for the sheer hell of it.
>
>  YOU'RE GOING TO NEED TO GET THE SOFTWARE WRITTEN WHICH FULFILS THE
> REQUIREMENTS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T EXIST.

>From my reading of this list, people also want to find existing
packages which will fill the requirements with no changes or only
minimal changes, given that it is often easier to modify a program
than to write a new one from scratch.

>  oh, and it's also worthwhile repeating, because i just know that
> someone will think i'm full of shit and like spending my time
> criticising people:
>
>  THE DEBIAN DEVELOPERS ARE THE BEST PEOPLE TO DO THE JOB OF PACKAGING
> THAT SOFTWARE WHEN IT EXISTS
>
>  the reason is not so much the 16+ years track record, it's the Debian
> Charter, the Debian GPG trust ring and the identity-proof system that
> goes behind it, which is basically inviolate and absolutely
> trustworthy.  that and the sheer dedication.
>
> [ why do i have to spell this out?? *sigh* ]
>
>  but that GPG trust ring, the Debian Charter and the sheer dedication
> to the debian project is worht jack f*****g shit if there ain't no
> f*****g software to package, is there??

"It is better to light a candle than to curse the f***ing darkness."