[Freedombox-discuss] Is / Is Not

Philippe Clérié philippe at gcal.net
Wed Jun 1 21:00:41 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, 31 May 2011 09:23:09 James Vasile wrote:
> Some time back, I solicited views on what the FreedomBox should be.  I
> assembled those views and passed them to Eben Moglen, who refined it
> into something manageable and coherent.  Then we let the TAC take a
> turn.  The below is the result, a concise statement of what the
> FreedomBox is.  I'm publishing it here for another round of public
> comment.
>
> Best regards,
> James
>

> # The FreedomBox...
>
> ## Generally
> * Is a software stack, for multiple kinds of hardware.
> * Is especially valuable software in plug computers.
> * Is Free as in Freedom.
> * Is a Debian-based project.  Is not a Debian distribution.
> * Is targeted at specific hardware but is not limited to that hardware.
> * Is flexible about hardware.
> * Is optimized for a specific hardware configuration.
> * Is not an X server.
> * Is not a device with a screen, keyboard or pointer.
> * Is not an outdoor device.
> * Is easy for ordinary people to use.
>
> ## Target Audience
> * Is designed for everybody-- hackers, students, reporters, teachers,
> families, etc. * Is personal but not single user.
>
> ## Services
> * Is a torrent client and can use TOR for that purpose.
> * Is a web server.
> * Is a web proxy.
> * Is an email server.
> * Is a print server.
> * Is a file server (NAS).
> * Is a drop box.
> * Is a streamer of media files, but does not necessarily connect directly
> to your TV. * Is VPN capable, both for you and for people behind large
> government firewalls. * Is an instant messaging server.
> * Is a VOIP server.
> * Is an eternity server.
> * Is a photo album and gallery.
> * Is a TOR node.
> * Is able to save a live video stream feed from your phone via bluetooth,
> wifi or internet.
>
> ## Facilitates secure, anonymous and private chat and messaging
> * Is an encrypting relay for email.
> * Is the nerve center of your distributed social network.
> * Is a platform for federated social networking.
> * Is a platform for distributed collaboration.
>
> ## Security and Reliability
> * Is smart about of knowing who to trust and how much to trust them.
> * Is not a tamper-proof machine.
> * Is thoroughly and automatically tested.
>
> ## Connectivity and Interoperability
> * Is able to Communicate securely, privately and anonymously with other
> FreedomBoxes and devices. * Is dedicated to producing state of the art
> mesh networking and routing solutions to replace local ISP services when
> disrupted. * Is capable of detecting and tunneling around non-neutral
> networks. * Is your router, both wireless and wired.
>
> ## Data Backup
> * Is your encrypted backup server.
> [...]

Looking at the services, I was thinking that they can be further classified in
4 categories:

- routing functions (connectivity, wireless access point, firewall, etc)
- local functions (file, print, media, backup etc)
- external functions (web, email, sharing, etc)
- and for lack of a better word, nodal functions (torrent, tor, eternity, sip
nodes)

At the moment, I'm starting with the Debian based Vyatta router software. On
that  base, I am going to put one lxc vm for each of the other categories and
see where that takes me.

Cheers!

--

Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>