[Freedombox-discuss] Erlang

Matthew Evans mattevans123 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 20 15:20:44 UTC 2011

Hi List,

I've recently been following the Freedom box project, congratulations and good luck. It seems like a fantastic idea.

I've been spending the past few years coding and designing systems written in the Erlang programming language. From what I can see with your requirements Erlang would be a great fit.

The language has distribution "built in". Once two or more machines are joined in a mesh you can spawn processes on remote VM's and send requests to those processes (send messages to) as if they were local. It makes writing applications on a distributed cluster of servers very simple, other than network delay there is no difference between working on a distributed (remote) machine than a local machine.

I could, for example, imagine a chat server deployed by a person in a restrictive country. From the perspective of the chat server owner their service is running locally on their own Freedom box, however in actual fact it would be running on a Freedom box in another country.

There are a number of distributed projects written in Erlang (used by Facebook and others). An interesting open source project I recently discovered is cloudi (http://cloudi.org).

Good luck

Matt