[Freedombox-discuss] Erlang

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Jun 20 20:05:50 UTC 2011

Hi Matthew,

On 11-06-20 at 11:20am, Matthew Evans wrote:
> I've been spending the past few years coding and designing systems
> written in the Erlang programming language. From what I can see with
> your requirements Erlang would be a great fit.
>
> The language has distribution "built in". Once two or more machines
> are joined in a mesh you can spawn processes on remote VM's and send
> requests to those processes (send messages to) as if they were local.
> It makes writing applications on a distributed cluster of servers very
> simple, other than network delay there is no difference between
> working on a distributed (remote) machine than a local machine.

Thanks for the summary.  Long ago I heard that Erlang was cool regarding
"something with its clustering abilities" without understanding the
details. After that I looked whenever Erlang-based application appeared
in Debian but found none emphasizing such cool features in their package
description.

> I could, for example, imagine a chat server deployed by a person in a
> restrictive country. From the perspective of the chat server owner
> their service is running locally on their own Freedom box, however in
> actual fact it would be running on a Freedom box in another country.
>
> There are a number of distributed projects written in Erlang (used by
> Facebook and others). An interesting open source project I recently
> discovered is cloudi (http://cloudi.org).

Thanks for the concrete pointer.

Beware, though, that only software officially part of Debian makes sense
to consider for inclusion in FreedomBox.

Therefore please help by filing [RFP bugreports] about prominent
applications like above, and then add them to our [wiki page] and
advertise them here on the list - mentioning at both places the bug
number to encourage official packaging of them.

Regards,

 - Jonas

[RFP bugreports]: http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#l1

[wiki page]: http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/LeavingTheCloud