[Freedombox-discuss] distributed DNS

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at pagekite.net
Tue Mar 15 17:51:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 4:14 PM, <bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org> wrote:

> to. On the other hand, if this person is using a dynamic DNS system that
> does not keeps logs (not found one stating it clearly at the moment), all
> the gov agents have is the current IP, if it has one... That could make a
> big difference :)

How providers handle logs is certainly one of the most important questions
for whether they are "Freedombox friendly" or not. :-)

> >  And to me (an I don't think I'm the only one) that
> > >is an important problem. What are the logging practice of the
> > >community-driven one you talk about? Do they have privacy/anonymity in
> > >mind?

We should ask them. :-)

> > >But I don't see a problem to offer both solutions, and let users choose.
> > >Do you?
> >
> > No I don't.

I actually think it is important that users have as much choice as possible
- the more diversity the ecosystem has, the better.  This is not an argument
against building our own dynamic DNS, so much as an argument FOR making sure
Freedomboxes are interoperable with the current offerings - commercial,
community, or otherwise. :-)

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
The Beanstalks Project ehf.