[Freedombox-discuss] gratis libreboxes?

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Fri May 6 18:02:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Thomas Lord <lord at emf.net> wrote:
> Interesting news:
>
> Expected price: $25
>
> Form factor: UCB-stick with HDMI port.
>
> Provisional specification:
>
>      * 700MHz ARM11
>      * 128MB of SDRAM
>      * OpenGL ES 2.0
>      * 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode
>      * Composite and HDMI video output
>      * USB 2.0
>      * SD/MMC/SDIO memory card slot
>      * General-purpose I/O
>      * Open software (Ubuntu, Iceweasel, KOffice, Python)

Yes, I liked the general idea. The small form-factor is critical, and
the price point is great.

This particular implementation appears to include things that the
generic FreedomBox would not need (Composite/HDMI video), and not
include things many (most?) of us see as mandatory (built-in
networking). They mention running Ubuntu, so I assume that a Debian
"pure blend" should run w/o any problems.

I'll be interested to see if they can hit their target price of $25. I
know that many other projects have greatly overestimated their ability
to hit a target budget!

--R