[Freedombox-discuss] Hardware Platforms; more problems...

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu May 12 09:34:45 UTC 2011

On 11-05-12 at 04:53am, AnotherPeasant wrote:
> How many of us really, truly KNOW what is in the hardware?  If we
> don't, it should be on our list of things to learn, or at least to
> learn to test for.

Please put it on some list at some *other* project than FreedomBox.

It is a very _very_ important area, but not for FreedomBox.  FreedomBox
really isn't about stuffing freedom-tech into all sorts of small
hardware, but on stuffing those pieces into specific beige ones that we
can mange to make dead simple for non-techies to use.

If we cannot manage to make anything at all dead simple to use, then
FreedomBox has failed.

No, FreedomBox success do *not* rely on shipping it to chinese or
iranian users, or being able to swallow, or properly doing mesh
networking.  Those are all great things, but icing of the FreedomBox
cake.  FreedomBox is about passing some of what us techies already use
every day onto our non-techie friends!

Yes, it can _grow_ into cool new stuff that does not exist today.  But
that cannot be a first goal.

So please put those marvellous visionary projects on some other TODO
lists, and I am certain we will keep an eye on those projects from here,
and when mature and usable and relevant integrate them into FreedomBox.

> I promise I'll try to post something more upbeat and happy about
> hardware and UX, soon.  Just not tonight.

Be upbeat or be grumpy.  But please be relevant to FreedomBox.

Kind regards,