[Freedombox-discuss] Hardware Platforms; more problems...

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu May 12 11:46:28 UTC 2011

On 11-05-12 at 12:18pm, bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:34:45AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > FreedomBox really isn't about stuffing freedom-tech into all sorts
> > of small hardware, but on stuffing those pieces into specific beige
> > ones that we can mange to make dead simple for non-techies to use.
[...]
> > No, FreedomBox success do *not* rely on shipping it to chinese or
> > iranian users, or being able to swallow, or properly doing mesh
> > networking.  Those are all great things, but icing of the FreedomBox
> > cake.  FreedomBox is about passing some of what us techies already
> > use every day onto our non-techie friends!
>
> I didn't understand the same from Eben's talks, which were mentionning
> this chinese or iranian as some of the targeted users, or at least
> people that this project should help.

Designing new technology may help at opressed places when it has
matured.

Using existing technology to shift towards decentralized communication
at non-opressed places helps at opressed places too, and does so sooner.

> Please stop putting yourself as the guardian of this project, which
> you are not.

True, I am not.  And I dont: I simply share my opinions, as do others.

And I have do not plan to stop.  Feel free to killfile me if you wish.