[Freedombox-discuss] Internet upload paradigm

Marc Manthey marc at let.de
Mon Nov 14 15:49:27 UTC 2011

hello everybody,

last week someone rang at my door and told me , the local telekom.com
competitor netcologe.de offers free fibrewire connectivity to house
owners.
Well, thats what i was waiting for since years, i was talking to my
self and let him do his job.
After he put the cable in the ground and a day later someone from
netcologne.de put a nice white zyxel box in the cellar.
I was calling the netcologne.de service hotline and asked how do i get
fibrewire and asked for prize and data.

What i heard from telekom.com they  offer up to 200 MBit/s down and
100 MBit/s UPLOAD
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,820630/Telekom-mit-Glasfaser-Anschluss-bietet-bis-zu-200-MBit/s-Upload-und-100-MBit/s-Download/Internet/News/
If this would be the case i would quit my hoster and run my blog on a
local machine and had enough resources to "feed" some other
freedomboxes in the future :)

The netcologne.de support told me that the service is called
"multicable" and they offer 100 MBit/s down and >> 5 << !!MBit/s
UPLOAD for about 55 €
this is the same rate i could get over my NORMAL TV cable from them or
unitymedia.de !!

So they wanna sell me a throttled fibrewire connection with  5 MBit/s
UPLOAD or they just want to prevent houseowners to get the faster
telekom.com fibrewire ?

I mean they doing this since ages to prevent users from running
services on they local machines.
Nowadys every 300 € desktop machine has the same power then a rented
webserver somewhere in a data center, but this UPLOAD paradigm does
not change.

Isnt a 50/50 up/download rate part of netneutrallity ?

thanks for any comments

Marc

--  Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231
blog: http://let.de
project : http://stattfernsehen.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/macbroadcast/
facebook: http://macbroadcast.tk

Please think about your responsibility towards our environment: Each
printed e-mail causes about 0.3 grams of CO2 per page.