[Freedombox-discuss] Straight and Narrow.

Bdale Garbee bdale at gag.com
Mon Oct 24 14:49:54 UTC 2011

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 13:09:05 +0100, Michael Rogers <m-- at gmx.com> wrote:

> Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn - I haven't contributed a single
> line of code to this project - but I think it's an excellent idea to get
> the non-safety-critical parts of the code released as soon as
> possible.

I think there's a misconception here.

The services that work today *are* released, and are widely distributed
in the Debian mirror network.  Anyone who wants to stand up some or all
of the services that have been discussed here need only find a cast-off
machine, install Debian, and have at it using the notes various folks
have contributed to on the wiki.

If you happen to have access to a DreamPlug and are specifically
interested in playing with Debian on it, the current state of platform
enablement for that device (not all of which is yet fully merged in
Debian proper) is available in the freedom-maker git repository at:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=freedombox/freedom-maker.git;a=summary

FWIW, I spent two days in New York last week meeting with James, Eben,
and others on FreedomBox Foundation business.  James took lots of notes
during our discussions, and I assume will eventually find time to post a
summary of what transpired.  But in the meantime, I assert that we are
*not* delayed trying to do things that are specific to the support of
dissidents.  The identity and security machinery and associated user
interfaces we are slowly piecing together are, we think, fundamental
parts of our plan for helping various technologies already available in
the Free Software world scale to a larger audience.

Bdale