[Freedombox-discuss] Non-tech version of how "freedom box grid "could work

Marc Manthey marc at let.de
Sat Oct 29 11:26:48 UTC 2011

hello freedom boxers :),

After reading all the informative posts from Luke and others about
hardware, ipv6 and so on i  keep racking my brain how this could look
like at the end. So here is my short explanation from my point of view

------- booting freedom -----

After your freeedombox  is booted , you will be redirected to a http://home
   page, where you can put in your freedombox credentials, like name
your box, upload an avatar, create a  security key, tag interests,
enable  services (mail, chat, file sharing,your packet stats and
whatever will run on a freedombox )

Importand !  The freedombox needs to detect if you have Internet or
not, in case you havent another freedombox needs to be reachable,
( What happend if not ? )

In case you have real internet, you will be forwardet to a big global
map, where you can see all the connected freedomboxes , this is just
an expample http://www.accessgrid.org/map , i have something like a
moving_google_earth_globe in mind ;)

So if your connected you can "mouse  over" the "dots", whitch
represent other freedomboxes and see a simple freedombox information
window
( could be country, name, connection up/down / available space, uptime
e.t.c. ) , the user can choose , what information would be public ,
like on facebook or any other social networking site.

If somebody is interested in a specific host he could send a " peer -
request" T his peer request is like a friendship request but it will
allow the other host to activly route traffic from the other machine
and share the user defined services ( a specific amount needs to be
mandatory, otherwise everybody just "suck" and this does not help to
make a network more stable.

So your personal freedombox grid grows with any successful new peer
and make you more and more independent from your own internet
connection.

I think this solution would  even allow to run a small freedombox grid
without having a critical mass.

What you think ? is this a realistic szenario ?

greetings from battle overseas

Marc

--  Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231
blog: http://let.de
project : http://stattfernsehen.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/macbroadcast/
facebook: http://macbroadcast.tk

Please think about your responsibility towards our environment: Each
printed e-mail causes about 0.3 grams of CO2 per page.