[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox at Software Freedom Day

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Sep 22 09:31:32 UTC 2011

On 11-09-22 at 12:41pm, John Walsh wrote:
> Alas, as a Debian Blend with limited resources we are restricted to
> using the technologies provided by the Debian project. I realise now
> that our website will always look like http://debian.org than the
> bling filled http://ubuntu.com which I suspect is Marc's expectation
> of a modern website and mine too for that matter.
>
> I do think the Debian Blend strategy is a good one, but I do think
> Debian should allow the blends to have their own distinct brands
> rather than being a pale imitation of Debian.org, just like clothing
> companies have different shops/brands for different consumers. Sorry,
> I digressed in this paragraph.

In my view, a Debian Pure Blend _is_ as boring looking as Debian itself,
because it _is_ Debian.  What then makes sense is that companies brand
various redistributions of (physical boxes containing) the FreedomBox
blend of Debian.

I would imagine that Canonical would then make their own "Frubuntu"
fork, whereas Globalscale Technologies and New IT could be convinced of
the selling point of marketing their *Plug hardware as by default
containing the _Pure_ blend of FreedeomBox.

Regards,