[Freedombox-discuss] Diaspora becoming a community project

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Aug 30 13:18:54 UTC 2012

Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> writes:

> On 12-08-30 at 12:54pm, Philip Hands wrote:
>> Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> writes:
>> >
>> > NB! Buddycloud-server is in Debian, but needs Nodejs which the
>> > release team have so far disapproved for Wheezy:
>> > http://bugs.debian.org/684044
>
> [tech details snippet]
>
>> Both are in unstable ("sid"), so either you're defining "in Debian" as
>> meaning in sid, in which case they both are, or you're talking about
>> them being let into testing, in which case neither are.
>
> What I mean with "in Debian" is that it (the server part of Buddycloud)
> is packaged in .deb format, uploaded to the Debian archive, approved by
> ftp-masters, and therefore what I call "officially packaged for Debian"
> - i.e. available in either "Sid" or "experimental".
>
> What I mean with "disapproved for Wheezy" is that it (the main
> dependency of the server part of Buddycloud) is unfortunately not
> currently part of the subset of "occifically packaged for Debian" parts
> that is targeted the next upcoming stable distribution release of
> Debian.
>
> Sorry, I see how my choice of words was confusing (but I honestly am
> surprised that _you_ got confused, both being a native english speaker
> and a Debian developer).

Ah, I see -- well I wasn't really being confused about that, you seem to
be trying to give the impression that nodejs not making into the freeze
is the blocker, whereas buddycloud is currently uninstallable due to the
Breaks: from nodejs, thus requiring a new version of buddycloud-server
to be uploaded ... or were you hoping to sneak in nodejs, then have an
RC bug reported against buddycloud-server to justify it getting in too?

I cannot see that happening, but if you want I'll cheerfully report the
RC bug for you now :-)

Cheers, Phil.