[Freedombox-discuss] Unhosted

Michiel de Jong michiel at unhosted.org
Mon Feb 27 15:58:45 UTC 2012

Hi Matthew,

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I saw this talk at FOSDEM:
> http://video.fosdem.org/2012/lightningtalks/Unhosted.webm

[...]

> Naturally your own FreedomBox could be your storage.

Yes, I'm glad you brought that up, we should try to get that set up.

We have the code, it's just not been packaged for Debian yet. Can we use
nodejs? I was looking on the freedombox wiki to see what the current
proposed list of software packages is, but couldn't find it. Also, will
anything already be running on port 80/443? then it should integrate with
that.

another question is if people are encouraged to register a domain name, or
whether they are given a subdomain (pagekite maybe?) when they buy a
freedombox (and same question for SSL cert). If any of these questions have
not been decided yet, then maybe it's getting time to decide them, or at
least take a minimal set of temporary decisions that allow us to make the
freedombox usable as "unhosted" storage.

Cheers,
Michiel
(the guy who gave said lightning talk ;)