[Freedombox-discuss] Need some help on UI - was: What Do You want to use the FreedomBox for?

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 05:54:01 UTC 2012

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 18:28:03 +0200, Mathieu Jourdan wrote:
> >     https://github.com/NickDaly/plinth
>
> By fork, do you suggest to create one more account then a third Plinth
> repository on github? Isn't it preferable to push to existing
> repositories, avoiding confusion to new contributors? By confusion, I
> mean it's not easy to get a clear picture on what has been done if one
> has to browse multiple repositories for the same piece of software.

That's how distributed revision control systems work: each copy of a
repository is its own repository.  By making forking technically
required, it becomes a social, not technological, issue.  Projects as a
whole move forward when multiple forks are rolled up into a parent
branch.  Child branches that don't amount to anything are ignored, along
with parent branches that don't accept changes.

> Also, is it reasonable to encourage to give to centralized platforms
> names and e-mail addresses, and accept their terms of service?  I know
> hosting code sounds harmless, its just about the principle...
>
> I added two points in the Plinth section.  I agree with people who said
> on an other thread that the wiki is not suitable for bugs and feature
> request tracking.

Both your points are fair.  I kept code on GitHub after forking James's
projects.  It's not a good defense, but it's the only one I have.  I've
talked on IRC with Bdale about actually using the FBX Alioth page for
something more than a mailing list, which should hopefully resolve both
issues at the same time.  Feel free to open a "hosted on an
insufficiently free infrastructure" issue on all of my projects, if
you'd like.  Once Trac, in Debian Testing, works on a DreamPlug, it'll
be possible to self-host again, but the Alioth page is probably a better
home for the multitude of repositories this project inspires.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I wanted to make sure I had time to
respond properly to all your points.

Thanks for your time,
Nick