[Freedombox-discuss] Need some help on UI - was: What Do You want to use the FreedomBox for?

Mathieu Jourdan mathieu.jourdan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 07:23:29 UTC 2012

Hi Nick,

2012/7/9 Nick M. Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com>:
> That's how distributed revision control systems work: each copy of a
> repository is its own repository.  By making forking technically
> required, it becomes a social, not technological, issue.  Projects as a
> whole move forward when multiple forks are rolled up into a parent
> branch.  Child branches that don't amount to anything are ignored, along
> with parent branches that don't accept changes.

That's an interesting point of view!

> Both your points are fair.  I kept code on GitHub after forking James's
> projects.  It's not a good defense, but it's the only one I have.  I've
> talked on IRC with Bdale about actually using the FBX Alioth page for
> something more than a mailing list, which should hopefully resolve both
> issues at the same time.  Feel free to open a "hosted on an
> insufficiently free infrastructure" issue on all of my projects, if
> you'd like.  Once Trac, in Debian Testing, works on a DreamPlug, it'll
> be possible to self-host again, but the Alioth page is probably a better
> home for the multitude of repositories this project inspires.

No reproach, I just was wondering if using something like GitHub was
compatible with the FreedomBox philosophy. As Ben emphasized, because
such platform users necessarily have a local copy, they still
independant. Using Debian's Alioth page for code hosting is not
necessarily a better way. In conclusion, I'll probably open an account
on either Alioth or GitHub, to host a few repo and share my ridiculous
Plinth commits.

> Sorry for the delayed reply, I wanted to make sure I had time to
> respond properly to all your points.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Nick

Thank you!