[Freedombox-discuss] PHP Alternatives?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Jul 15 10:37:10 UTC 2012

On 12-07-14 at 10:53pm, bnewbold at robocracy.org wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2012, Nick M. Daly wrote:
>
> >CryptoCat (secure chat):
> >
> >   CryptoCat Version 2 (???, in development)
>
> End client XMPP+OTR clients plus Prosody running on the device? If
> CryptoCat as-is is desirable, the server-side PHP code is <500 lines
> including comments and could be ported quickly to python, lua, or
> node.js.

I recommend coordinating such eventual rewrite with upstream: He
commented similarly on the PHP code size being quite small when we hung
out together New York in April, and has an elaborate reason for not
rewriting quickly (which I did not understand but blame me for that!).

> >Diaspora / Friendica (social networking):
> >
> >   Libertree (Ruby, Alpha)
>
> I thought Diaspora was Ruby on Rails?

Correct, Diaspora is written in Rails, which unfortunately is similarly
worrisome as PHP: even if (arguably) the underlying Ruby language has
saner coding style and community habits, Ruby on Rails tend to focus on
rapidly mashing things together rather than caring about security.

NB! I have no proof of this and no degree in computer science, just a
strong gut feeling and many years of working as sysadmin - I'd be more
than happy to be proved wrong!

> >RoundCube / SquirrelMail (webmail):
> >
> >   ???
>
> The (very minimal) NULL webmail client is written in C:
> http://nullwebmail.sourceforge.net/webmail/

Quite interesting!  Please file an RFP or ITP [bugreport] about it and
add an entry at [our wiki page] with link to that bugreport!

[bugreport]: http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#l1

[our wiki page]: http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/LeavingTheCloud

Right now - i.e. already in Debian (testing) - is CiderWebmail.