[Freedombox-discuss] Two days left on your PageKite account ??

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at pagekite.net
Sun Jun 24 21:36:08 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Marc <marc at let.de> wrote:
> 2012/6/24 Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson <bre at pagekite.net>:
>
>> That's why I encourage serious users to use their own domains and
>> CNAMEs with the service, instead of mine - and as a secondary
>> (inferior) option the dynamic DNS component of our service will let
>> people direct their names anywhere - not just our IPs.
>
> So how can i run pagekite completty on my own server without the
> limitations of your service and the ads ?,

As I said before, we don't run ads.  We display an explanation of why
your kite is unavailable when you turn it off along with appropriate
HTTP error codes so software can handle the situation gracefully.  We
feel this is better than your site just timing out.  And yes, the
response comes from our server, where else could it come from?

To keep this vaguely on topic for the list, for those who want to run
their own PageKite servers, there is a lot of documentation here:

    http://pagekite.net/wiki/OpenSource/

You'll need a Linux box where you have root and nothing is already
running on port 80 (and/or 443 if you enable SSL).

I recommend starting with the .deb or .rpm package, as that takes care
of most of the systems integration (starts up on boot etc.) and then
reading in the manual about the --isfrontend, --protos, --ports and
--domains options.

We have an IRC channel on freenode, named #pagekite, which is the best
place for people to get advice and help from the community.

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, lead developer of PageKite.

Make localhost servers visible to the world: https://pagekite.net/