[Freedombox-discuss] Raining on the parade

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Tue Jun 26 17:36:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 10:27 -0700, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> The activists are the ones sending data with a tor fingerprint.  The
> Everybodies are the ones doing what they were already doing--
> going to Facebook and Twitter.

Tor traffic is designed to be identical to HTTPS, and can even be
obfuscated further to resist DPI attacks.

> There's no way out of this problem without educating people about
> privacy.  For the average user, nearly everything they do on the web
> is supported by the hypothesis that the data they provide about
> themselves is worth more than the services provided to them.  The
> users know this and react by misjudging the value of their data--
> almost a direct quote from a Facebook member, "they know I click
> 'like' on pictures of animals with captions on them."  And I don't
> think
> any of us can convince such users that doing so is dangerous without
> knowing more about what Facebook and Google do with their data
> (which is hidden), or making every user do a research project on
> privacy so that they have the skills to understand that Moglen's
> speeches aren't hyperbole.

At the same time, ordinary facebook users reposted a modern-day chain
letter when Facebook had it's IPO asserting that since facebook was now
"public" they had to post a status containing legalese to retain
"ownership" of their facebook content.

So obviously some people care, but they care more about the network
Facebook has built that allows them to have interactions with people
they know, and they don't know what actions will make them more or less
private.

--
Sent from Ubuntu