[Freedombox-discuss] Raining on the parade

Brian Drake Brian at drakewolf.net
Tue Jun 26 22:39:28 UTC 2012

Excellent points all around - and I too want to thank Sandy for bringing up
the conversation.  In repudiation to the author's words about
electronic dystopia, I believe in the power of the Freedom Box as a leveler
of the field.  If conversations and content can be shared without
big-brother...

You can have a wifi shared connection via TOR over cell networks on the
latest android devices - it's not a cheap piece of kit today - but in just
a few years time these are going to be *everywhere*.  Cellular; and in
particular 'smart phone' devices are barnstorming through every county in
the world.  TOR has already released the
software.<https://www.torproject.org/docs/android.html.en>
Included is secure chat and a browser.

So - my opinion - is we focus efforts on a destination for these already
mobile folks: node based social networks; web-based tools for publishing
their news blurbs to things like twitter; blogs; and even facebook - make
it reasonably secure, peer to peer, distributed; Downloadable to a USB or
other offline storage if possible; and erasable with a lighter or teeth.

Distributed social networks like Friendica  <http://friendica.com/>and
eventually Diaspora will eventually fill this purpose; and <startup-plug
alert> I'm taking steps <http://node.net/> to help that along.*  But pure
cloud solutions don't go far enough towards true freedom.

The key and fundamental choke-point of the cellular system is the expense
and centralization (thus 'official' control) of the antenna tower.  The
hardest thing in the freedom box goal-set is the last-mile mesh network -
and it's the one most suitable for a separate; *in the field*; bit of kit.
 Something the handheld, roving nodes can latch onto as a primary data and
power source; perhaps even a connection 'sharer'  (10 cell-phones gather
round...)  I'm gonna have to look more into what Mr Taht is doing I think.

I've got a couple of different arm plugs; old, new, and purchased with
other's 'storage-to-cloud <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonido>' software
enabled.  And I'm dying for someone to complete an official 'freedom box'
on one / any of these devices.  (Thanks - by the way - for the
instructions<http://freedomboxfoundation.org/code/>)
 I've got my own contributions coming with the stuff I've learned
installing Friendica and Tor but I'm still testing, tweaking, learning.

But what I *really* think will cause real change is a
 * Multi ethernet (2 min enables chains) for reliable/private inter-node
physical mesh; laptop or local server connectivity, and uplink.
 * Multi- usb (for charging & data) - centerpiece for a cafe tabletop.
 * Moderately powerful wifi AP that is more than happy to mesh with its
buddy on the other side of the square; or at least the next cafe table
over.  Dual antenna if possible with optional 'can-tennas'.