[Freedombox-discuss] Fwd: <unlike-us> Good News For Spies and Dictators: 'FreedomBox' Is in Danger of an Early Death | Threat Level | Wired.com

Marc marc at let.de
Fri Jun 29 23:05:29 UTC 2012

2012/6/29 godswearhats <freedom at godswearhats.com>

> Hey, just joined the list recently.
>
> Looking from the outside in, here are the problems I've seen:
>
> * No clear leadership (I'm here, I want to help, I don't know who to ask
> for work!)
> * No clear short-term goals
> * No clear way for people to join in
>
> Maybe all these things exist, and I expect some of them do, but it's not
> clear to newbies or outsiders.
>
> I want to help, but don't know if the help I want to give is going to piss
> people off.  What I'd like to see:
>
> * A (short) list of functionality for an MVP
> * A lead for each sub-project under that, even if the lead says "TBD", and
> an obvious way to contact the lead
> * An issue tracker with some tasks in it, even if those tasks say "it's
> not clear how to do this yet."
> * Distinct identity - at the moment, FreedomBox feels like it's owned by
> Debian
> * Some milestones
>
> In other open source efforts I've been a part of, there's usually an
> originator who plays the role of benevolent dictator, or a core team that
> does the same. If this project has one or the other of those, it's again
> not clear who they are or how to communicate with them.
>
> If someone can help me understand all these things, then I'd be keen to
> work to make it easier for the rest of the world to understand them too.

your right and people seems to concentrate on hackfest somewhere around the
globe instead of using
all the software developement tools thats are used for professionel
developlemt like redmine, trac , jira or other known
and popular free opensource tools, it become more a complain list where
people post stuff that we wanted to prevent , we turn in circles since
months.
When i joined the list over a year ago i was impressed how much knowledable
people on this list and i learn a lot about technologie , privacy and the
pros and cons of anonymity  and amazing projects that have been done and i
was allways thinking, when do they start ? When do i see the first grafic
or how it all fit togather DNS, meshnetworking , distributed storage, mail
e.c.t. where is the PLAN ? beside of a webinterface nothing is done as far
as i know. I am not complaining because i am not in the position to
complain, i made some statements and showed some ways to go regarding DNS,
but i did not even got a response. I am afraid to say the article isnt far
from reality.

marc

>> Some thoughts:
>>
>> - Freedombox is too good an idea to die, imho
>> - As time goes on hardware prices get cheaper.
>> - It's true extra developers (even one) can make a big difference
>> - Low hanging fruit sees a good idea
>>
>> Deciding on a "Minimal Viable Product" seems a good idea.  There
>> seems to be lots of diverse opinion on this list, that require
>> curation.  I think Nick / Jonas / Daniel / James / Eben are on a good
>> track.
>>
>> I always think back to Eben's original speech.  "We need a web
>> server, some dyn dns, some PHP web parts, and connectors to your
>> social nets".  Something like this in line with WebBox I think could
>> be achievable by end of year.
>>
>> --
Marc Manthey
50823 Köln, germany