[Freedombox-discuss] Encrypted root file systems with Mandos

Elena ``of Valhalla'' valhalla at trueelena.org
Mon Mar 5 06:28:57 UTC 2012

On 2012-03-04 at 22:01:44 -0500, James Vasile wrote:
> Thanks for the thoughts.  I've thought about it a bit, and I don't
> currently see a solution for encrypting storage on a FreedomBox.  I hope
> you make progress that applies to our use case.

What about changing the encryption approach to give an easy interface
to encrypt user data on a file-per-file basis, with 'encrypt to self'
as a default?
That way the system does not need user intervention to boot
and a password is only needed when an human wants to access
the file (and he is hopefully available to enter it).
Of course that way you open yourself to an attack based on
filenames, for which I'm afraid that the most effective solution
is user education.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla'' Grandi