[Freedombox-discuss] Announcing Santiago Release Candidate 1

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Fri May 18 02:35:24 UTC 2012

To answer the "what can I use this for" type questions I'm getting, I'll
try to explain what I'm going to use this for.

I'm going to host a FreedomBuddy node as a Tor hidden service.  That
will let my buddies find me online to use the wiki I'm sharing with
them, even as we both move constantly (through meatspace and the
network).

It's designed to operate as a sort of distributed DNSSEC that lets only
the people you trust find you.

How would this work?

Tor Hidden Services (or other protocols, maybe I2P, GNUnet, etc) can act
as static IP addresses.  So, if I use that to host the FreedomBuddy
service, my friends will be able to find me, because that location is my
unchanging, cryptographic identity.

We could stop right here and have no need for the FreedomBuddy service,
but there's one functional problem: communicating over Tor is really
slow.  So, we can use the FreedomBuddy system to exchange our current IP
addresses (for any service), and connect directly to one another,
without going through any sort of proxy.  This sort of connection, while
less anonymous, is usually much faster.

Finally, since we already have a whitelist of permitted users (through
their PGP keys), you could configure each service to allow only
whitelisted users to connect.

Nothing in the above is new.  However, it's nice to have a standardized
system behind it, making it more accessible to less technical users.

Nick