[Freedombox-discuss] corrupt FS inside image ? - Was: Re: FreedomBox Unstable Image 2012.1021 Available

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu
Sat Nov 10 13:35:16 UTC 2012

Hi.

"Nick M. Daly" <nick.m.daly at gmail.com>
writes:

> Hi Olivier!  Thanks for trying it out.
>
> Olivier Berger writes:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Nick M. Daly writes:
>>
>>>   You can also install the image to your DreamPlug directly.
>>
>> I've tried and install the contents of the
>> freedombox-unstable_2012.1021_dreamplug-armel-card.img image to a 4GB
>> SD card, which was previously partitioned.
>>
>> I've tried using kpartx to locally mount the contents of the immage
>> without success...
>
> Just use dd.  See the "To Use It" section of FreedomMaker's README [0]
> to load the image on to the DreamPlug's internal microSD card.

OK, I can do that... but still... what if the contents of the image is
broken ? Normally, I'd expect the FS image to be mountable, right ?

Is there a test of the partition's FS before generating the image ?

> If you don't have access to a JTAG some of the older images will boot
> smoothly on the DreamPlug's default bootloader, but I don't recall which
> image exactly broke it (I think it was one of the 2012.07* images?).

Yeah, that's the point... there doesn't seem to be some documentation
about which image works for which hardware in the (debian) wiki,
unfortunately.

> Other than the changes to Freedom-Maker proper, you'll be able to pull
> in the rest of the changes by pulling from the upstream of the projects
> living in /home/fbx.

For the moment, I'll leave the main system and kernel issues, running
the Wheezy image from NewIT, and I'll try and play with the FreedomBox
software with "manual" install (as much as aptitude helps ;).

> What information here would be good to put in the weekly image's readme?

I'm not sure each individual README helps so much for a history of
changes... whereas a reference page in the wiki would be better, with a
matrix of which image, which hardware and/or features are operational.

Thanks anyway.

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER