[Freedombox-discuss] Trouble getting freedom box running, u-boot_2012.04.01-2_armel.deb, freedombox-unstable_2012.1021/ dreamplug 1001

Nick M. Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 20:52:53 UTC 2012

Johan Henselmans writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble getting a freedom box image running.
>
> I have per instructions on
> https://freedomboxfoundation.org/ubootUpgradeInstructions/index.en.html
> downloaded the latest version of uboot, which happened to be
> u-boot_2012.04.01-2_armel.deb, and put that on the dreamplug via the
> usb stick route.
>
> I dd'ed the image from
> https://www.betweennowhere.net/tracker/freedombox-images/freedombox-unstable_2012.1021/
> onto the internal SD card.
>
> The dreamplug is version 1001, according to the sticker with the
> ethernet addresses on the back of the plug. I contains a 4 GB
> microcard.
>
> According to the docs on newit (http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/) this is
> a new version of the dreamplug. It originally contains a different
> startup sequence (ext2load usb 0 0x6400000 uImage), but the updated
> uboot overwrote these settings.

I'm checking with folks who have had similar issues booting the plug.
The kernel panic might be caused by not updating the boot instructions
after upgrading the uboot.  I'll hope to hear back shortly with more
information.

Unfortunately, I've updated my own DreamPlug so long ago that I don't
recall which particular issues are caused by which problems.

What are the first two sets of numbers (three numbers, a dash, four
numbers, a dash, and some more numbers) in your DreamPlug serial number?
It should look like:

    DS2-1112-...

Looks like a new distributor and configuration that we'll need to update
the wiki's hardware tables for.

Nick