[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox and Bitcoin (and the petition)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Nov 12 11:43:29 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 12:01:31PM +0100, Natanael Arndt wrote:
> I don't know why BitCoin or Money in general should be somehow
> integrated in the FreedomBox project? Furthermore I think BitCoin is no
> good concept e.g. because of the huge amount of electricity just burned

You don't need to mint in order to do BTC transfers.

> to get some virtual money, as the "lottery" comparison says.

The full BitCoin client runs fine on my Nexus 7. I see no
reason why a lean client wouldn't run on low-end systems.

> But I like the idea of Melvin to have a kind of exchange currency which
> is backed by resources (CPU time, Space, ...) which can really help
> other people instead of being wasted. There are enough real (not sha1
> hashing) problems to be done.

You're trying to reinvent a square wheel. Just use BTC.

> By the whay: that is,what I first thought BitCoin would be when I heard
> of it ;-)

If you're trying to maximize the utility of FBX, you need
to put on it what people are actually using. Not what you
think they *should* be using, and what doesn't even exist
yet.