[Freedombox-discuss] Email Encryption Basics

Russell Edwards russell at edwds.net
Sat Nov 17 10:48:48 UTC 2012

On 17/11/12 01:22, Michael Rogers wrote:
> In the real world it's not possible to run a mail server on a home
> broadband connection,

Could have fooled me..!

Works fine for me.

My $0.02 is don't bite off more than we can chew. Get people's primary
data storage off "The Cloud" first. Then worry about MITM.

Email is the easiest thing to get off the cloud. Social networking is
the bigger problem - probably more personal info, certainly much greater
interlinkage, and so far as I have seen NO truly decentralised viable
alternative in development. (No - Diaspora, Friendica and Friendica Red
are not inherently decentralised-nor is StatusNet)  The conception of
FBX as a "server" - albeit supposedly a personal server - is a little
concerning in this regard. Any server software designed to host multiple
users has nothing major in its way from becoming the next
ultraconvenient ultracentralised Facebook. Perhaps a truly peer-to-peer
architecture is the only way to prevent this.

Russell