[Freedombox-discuss] Email Encryption Basics

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 17 20:19:18 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Let me define "social networking" as both "general social networking" in the sense of
email, microblogging, etc., and "social networking software" in the sense of software
with a UI in the friendster -> myspace -> facebook many-to-many wall-post commenting
style.

It seems to me that "social networking software" is inescapably at odds with any privacy-
preserving system.  Data-leakage of personal info in the implicit sense (selling data
to third parties) obviously characterizes the centralized social networking software, but don't
forget that data-leakage in the explicit sense-- friends of friends able to read comments,
frictionless growth of social movements or marketing campaigns, ability to search and find
any other user of the system-- is the core feature upon which every single benefit of any social
networking software is built.  I say "data-leakage" and not "data sharing", because the way
in which the user's personal data traverses the social graph is beyond the grasp of any user
who doesn't have the time and money to do a 6-month research project on the privacy
implications of using the software.  If this weren't the case, "social networking software"
would just be called "email".

Public personal info is public, and private personal info is private.  When you start trying to
mix the two in the same UI you're going to confuse users and either end up negating the privacy
benefits of the FBX or enabling second-rate social networking software with so much friction
on data leakage that it defeats the purpose.

-Jonathan