[Freedombox-discuss] who wants the new look to go online?

Robert Martinez mail at mray.de
Sun Sep 30 20:18:11 UTC 2012

On 30/09/12 21:01, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On 12-09-30 at 07:24pm, Robert Martinez wrote:
>> On 28/09/12 22:59, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>> Thanks, but I am not sure what you really invite me to join
> I dislike your quoting style: above is missing essential parts of the
> sentence, distorting its meaning.

Distortion was certainly not my intend. I'm sorry.
Complete text for clarities sake:

> Thanks, but I am not sure what you really invite me to join - as it
> seems you miss my point: Importance of what happens under the hood of
> the design - e.g. how external sources are tracked and how result is
> possible to get integrate with Ikiwiki - is exactly what we disagree on
> here.

I offer to adapt to work in whatever way you propose, given that we have
the same goal here.
I can't spot much possibility for disagreement, unless you have another
goal. (In which case I wouldn't understand your participation in the matter)

@"..tracking of external sources":
Do you mean using git or *whatever* else - I'll do that if that's your way.

@"..how results get integrated":
Do you mean the framework that is used? - Or the coding language? - Or
the wiki system or - *whatever* ??? I don't know and I don't care. I'll
try that if that's your way.

Wrapping that up I just desire:
"Getting the new look live and online. No matter how. Now."
- regardless of possible disagreement based on Seans or anybody elses
approach.
I just tried to spare us fruitless discussion on that matter (not so
effectively as it turns out).

>> "usable and maintainable design" - sounds good!
>> I guess what you mean is a more or less a "working wiki theme".
> No, that is not what I mean.  What I mean is what I pointed out in July
> on this list, as referenced in my previous post.
>
> I am happy to elaborate on that if interested.

The template file you linked to makes no sense to me even after removing
the parts you suggested to subtract. It is pretty hard for me (or rather
impossible) to get from this:

http://source.ikiwiki.branchable.com/?p=source.git;a=blob;f=templates/page.tmpl;hb=HEAD

to something that looks like this:

     http://mray.de/fbxfoundation_robert/theme.html

if you can - tell me what i can do to help you.
if you cannot i would be glad if you helped me to find a solution how i
can work on the ikiwiki code and have live feedback on my css changes.
without that i guess i'm useless, too.
if you think we should start a complete github project and set up a wiki
server and do whatever other fancy coding guys may regard useful - lead
the way! i'll try to follow. just noting i'm not that skilled in all
that stuff.
i *tried* getting ikiwiki to run locally to find a way to produce a
theme somehow - with no luck.

>> (The question "if at all" should not arise afaik, since there
>> already is an ok from James Vasile)
> Evidently an that ok from James Vasile did not make website admins
> willing to receive a new visual design, or we wouldn't have this
> conversation.

i think they are willing. there is just nothing to be received. lets
change that!