[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBuddy to use Tor to resolve IP address of nodes?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 22:34:59 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

All I can report is that Tor works with the default configuration in Wheezy:

1. https://check.torproject.org/ in ff-nightly reports "Sorry. You are not using Tor."
2. apt-get install tor
3. ff-nightly Preferences->Advanced->Network->Settings: Manual proxy configuration: 127.0.0.1 Port: 9050
4. https://check.torproject.org/ in ff-nightly reports "Congratulations. Your browser is configured to use Tor."
5. Just so it's crystal clear-- the same page reports "Your IP address appears to be: 212.232.24.57"
which is definitely _not_ my normal IP.  It's the exit node which is sending (forwarding) me that web page.

Please note that I'm not making any claim on whether its safe to use Tor with ff-nightly in
the manner I just described-- it's a much better idea to use the Firefox fork that ships with
Vidalia since it's tweaked specifically for security issues that may come up when browsing
over Tor.  But that's an issue with the application running over Tor, _not_ with Tor itself,
and it is therefore outside the scope of the question about "sensible" defaults provided by
the Debian tor package.
-Jonathan