[Freedombox-discuss] Why plug servers and not smart phones?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jul 17 13:37:39 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 03:24:23PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Then your answer above to your own question makes no sense to me,
> however: The project we are [both] working on cannot substitute its
> Debian packages with something self-hosted, and still be "in Debian".

If you prime the depository from a Debian depository master, but
deliver it a la swarm delivery (using all the online
Freedomboxes as a content delivery network, internally, and
verify the signatures using the official key), would that
be still Debian?

> > I seem to detect some unnecessary antagonism in a few of your past
> > emails.
>
> That stems from frustration.  Frustration that I felt unable to explain
> myself to you.  I kept feeling that you where trolling - deliberately
> sidestep or misinterpret what I wrote.

Sorry, certainly no trolling, just natural obtuseness.

> Really great that we are on the same page.  Sorry for my lousy attitude.

Great, everything's in the green.

> > I'm not used to the Theo light treatment from the Debian side of
> > things. That would be a novel experience I'm not sure I'm looking
> > forward to.
>
> What do "Theo light treatment" mean?

Theo de Raadt's attitude is legendary in BSD-land. He does mean
well enough, though. I think.

> If anyone were to control "FreedomBox" as a brand, that would be the
> FreedomBox Foundation, I suspect, not this Debian project.
>
> I do not speak on behalf of the FreedomBox Foundation and therefore is
> not talking about "brand damage".  I simply find our varying choice of
> words/abbreviations confusing, that's all.  Especially when used to

Sorry, I will try to use Freedombox consistently in future.

> describe things that does not fit my understanding of what it is we are
> doing together here - e.g. that this Debian project need not use Debian
> packages.

Obviously a Debian project needs to use Debian packages. The question
is whether you'd be able to distribute Debian packages from a
Debian depository from within a Freedom-box internal delivery network,
making it self-hosting.

I realise that today is too early to talk about self-hosting.