[Freedombox-discuss] Why plug servers and not smart phones?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Jul 17 19:15:24 UTC 2013

Quoting Eugen Leitl (2013-07-17 15:37:39)
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 03:24:23PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
> > Then your answer above to your own question makes no sense to me,
> > however: The project we are [both] working on cannot substitute its
> > Debian packages with something self-hosted, and still be "in
> > Debian".
>
> If you prime the depository from a Debian depository master, but
> deliver it a la swarm delivery (using all the online Freedomboxes as a
> content delivery network, internally, and verify the signatures using
> the official key), would that be still Debian?

If Debian does it as an official practice, then it is Debian.

> > describe things that does not fit my understanding of what it is we
> > are doing together here - e.g. that this Debian project need not use
> > Debian packages.
>
> Obviously a Debian project needs to use Debian packages. The question
> is whether you'd be able to distribute Debian packages from a Debian
> depository from within a Freedom-box internal delivery network, making
> it self-hosting.

Hmm - maybe I simply misunderstood the term "self-hosting".  I assumed
it implying either freezing or forking (e.g. for security updates)
rather than simply proxying.

Maybe not: http://debtorrent.alioth.debian.org/