[Freedombox-discuss] Test if your freedombox is working as it should (testsuite)

James Valleroy james.valleroy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 12:16:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Sunil Mohan <sunil at medhas.org> wrote:
> Same problem as above. To understand "Host-only" network, imagine that
> you installed a new ethernet card in the host and called it 'vboxnet0'.
> Then you added another ethernet card in the guest and called it 'eth0'.
> Using a cable you have connected the two ethernet cards. Typically after
> that one would setup an IP on the host and another different IP on the
> guest and the two machines would be able communicate with each other.
> Same is the case with host-only networking. You assign an IP inside the
> guest and use that IP from the host.
>
> Apart from the above two options, there is also the Bridged mode option
> that is simplest. If you host computer is connecting to a router which
> gives automatic DHCP IP address then bridging the guest will put guest
> in same network as your host. This is as if you have plugged the guest
> machine into the hosts' network. Consequence of this is that guest will
> directly take its IP address from the router (or you can assign one
> statically). Guest will be accessible from your entire network. Host to
> guest and guest to host communication is as if two machines in the
> network are communicating with each other. No mappings etc. are required.
>
> It would be nice to have all this documented.

I added a "Network Configuration" section to the VirtualBoxImages page
on the wiki [0]. This setup will be similar to the Dreamplug's, with
eth0 connected to the outside network and eth1 connected to an
internal network (only accessible by the host in this case).

Currently, the VBox configuration needs to be done before first-run.
Then eth1 will be configured as 192.168.1.1 and will provide DHCP
service on the host-only network.

I just listed the basic steps, but feel free to add more information
if it's helpful.

[0] https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/VirtualBoxImages