[Freedombox-discuss] Avahi (was: Re: How to use JWChat on the freedombox?)

Anders Jackson anders.jackson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 20:48:03 UTC 2014

Den 18 mar 2014 19:32 skrev "Tim Retout" <tim at retout.co.uk>:

> On 17 Mar 2014 22:06, "Petter Reinholdtsen" <pere at hungry.com> wrote:
> >

> > [Alberto Fuentes]
> > > echo "fb ip" fbx >>/etc/hosts
> > >
> > > then navigate to fbx
> >
> > You are right.  This actually work.  When I visit
> > http://<eth0-ip-on-freedombox/, I get the redirect to 403 Forbidden. If
> > I add fbx to /etc/hosts on my local machine and then access http://fbx/,
> > I get JWChat.
> >
> > This do not seem like a good idea.  I expected both URLs to work the
> > same.  Is there something we could change to get that behaviour?
>
> I've not looked into what's going on with jwchat, but I've been looking
at mDNS for the last couple of days, and I think it could be really useful
for avoiding modification of the user's hosts file.

I would expect this behaviour as this is probably a virtual Web server in
apache (or any webbserver) configured just for jwchat.
If you check http at Wikipedia you'll see that the client sends the wanted
server name as parameter "host: " in the GET request to the Web server.
This is used to select the right Web server.  The solution with mDns is
probably the most useful one, and not only for this.

> In short:
>
> - set up the freedombox's hostname as normal
> - install avahi-daemon on it
> - point your desktop system (with libnss-mdns installed) at
http://fbx.local/ or similar.

Yes, this is what I would do for an easy installation without the need to
configure the local name server in the LAN(in the home router). The DHCP
client in the freedombox should also publish its preferred name and then
the LAN router usually uses that in all name resolutions in the LAN too.
But if not, mDns is also used.

> Windows support needs more to get going - you can install Bonjour, which
is Apache-licensed.

> Tim

/Anders