[Freedombox-discuss] Avahi

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Mar 19 09:03:28 UTC 2014

[Anders Jackson]
>> I've not looked into what's going on with jwchat, but I've been looking
>> at mDNS for the last couple of days, and I think it could be really useful
>> for avoiding modification of the user's hosts file.
>
> I would expect this behaviour as this is probably a virtual Web
> server in apache (or any webbserver) configured just for jwchat.
> If you check http at Wikipedia you'll see that the client sends the
> wanted server name as parameter "host: " in the GET request to the
> Web server.  This is used to select the right Web server.  The
> solution with mDns is probably the most useful one, and not only for
> this.

I agree that avahi/mdns would be very useful, and will change
freedombox-setup to pull in avahi-daemon, avahi-utils and libnss-mdns
on the freedombox.

With this in place, visiting <URL: http://freedombox.local/ > gave me
the jwchat web interface. :)

>> Windows support needs more to get going - you can install Bonjour,
>> which is Apache-licensed.

Is Bonjour in Debian?  Is it the same as zeroconf?

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen